Your Questions Answered

Your voice in the novel is wonderfully objective and compassionate – how would you feel about a woman like Pauline? Would she be too much for you as she seemed to be at times for Camillo?
“I’m not really sure. She definitely would have been a challenge. But that’s somewhat exciting. As my mother says, “predictability is the kiss of death,” and certainly Pauline was not predictable. Although she had commitment issues, I really do believe it was due to the circumstances of the time. She rarely saw her husband and was also smart enough to realize he too was being unfaithful. That said, Pauline, when in love, was the ideal woman for me. It’s the Pauline who is out of love that I’d be worried about.”

In what ways are you sympathetic or understanding toward Camillo and what he went through in his relationship with Pauline?
“I’m sympathetic for Camillo when it comes to his jealousy and insecurities, although both were surely justified. The problem one faces when marrying a beautiful woman is that many men will try to steal her. This can often lead to jealousy, especially when the husband is apart from his wife and his wife happens to be a Princess and the sister of the Emperor of France. That’s rough.”

Did you have to study the period of the 19th century during the writing of the novel? Did you enjoy that? Was there anything about that period of life that you wish was still in practice in today’s modern world?
“Yes, I had to study the late 18th century and 19th century. I did enjoy learning about the rise and fall of Napolean and the absolute chaos that was occurring in Europe. If I could choose one thing from that period and bring it alive today, it would be the wonderful parties from that time. Grand palaces filled with masked kings, queens, dukes, princesses and artist all interacting like school kids. Champagne, fireworks, Italian delicacies, horse-drawn carriages…wow, now that would have been fun.”

How does your family feel about your writing of this novel? Do they think that you’ve portrayed Pauline and Camillo honestly and fairly? What were their first thoughts and impressions after reading the novel?
“My family has always supported me and this novel is no different. As they haven’t read the book yet, I can’t answer the question. However, I’m sure they will think I portrayed them both fairly.”

What was your favorite part of writing the novel? (i.e. getting to know your family and yourself better, such as your own ideals and morals?)
“Learning about the Pauline and Camillo. When I first saw Pauline’s statue in the Galleria Borghese in 1988 and her tomb in the crypt of the Borghese chapel in Santa Maria Maggiore, I knew I wanted to learn more. One day I thought…and sure enough, I did. That’s one more goal completed on my bucket list. Now it’s time to make a movie!”

Comments

1. Dee says:

Did you find your princess, like Camillo found his Pauline?

2. agata says:

I live in Italy now and was just wondering if you considered translating it into Italian?
    also, did you consider moving back to Italy or you travel enough to not miss it?

• Lorenzo says:

It is currently available for sale in Italy in Italian.

• agata says:

thank you for your reply. however it is not complete. there were two questions.. :P

• Lorenzo says:

What question did i miss?

• agata says:

Lorenzo, the second question was about considering moving back to Italy. Maybe I’ll get a chance to meet you in person…:) Maybe you can arrange for me to see the Boromeo castle on Isola Madre on Lago Maggiore.. I’m only few steps away and I live for beauty. Not for money, but they tend to go together..

• Lorenzo says:

I do not plan on moving back to Italy for at least the next ten years. I do travel there quite often for work and vacation but right now my home is in NYC and I love it here.

• agata says:

that’s too bad! God is in every one of us, but here, in Europe, his presence is stronger because of the history. (I am not religious, only a strong believer in the Universe!).
            If you truly want to find your ‘princess of nowhere’ ;) , I think it’s time for you to detach from the money driven American society and get closer to the Earth and the ‘Sky’…
            I’m not trying to pick you up, but of course I would be curious to meet you. I’m also human. :) Plus, I’ve got my prince at home and I love him dearly. Maybe we could all go for a royal coffee on Lago Maggiore. I’ll let you pay, since in this life I’m only semi-precious (see Agathe stone:) by today’s society standards..:))
            I like to believe I was a princess in a previous life and I payed all the due dues already! :) In this life I’m still ironing shirts and even though I don’t particularly like ironing, I do it with love…;) oh, and we also have a sweet dog. Her name is Kima and I think she looks royal even though the only royal grooming she’s getting is Royal Canin. :) ) Love does it all!
            good luck. a~

• Lorenzo says:

Thank you. And good luck to you! I’m happy to hear that you have a wonderful outlook on life!

3. Dee says:

Are you married? I would think if you found your princess you would want to keep her no?

4. agata says:

I kinda doubt she’ll be Italian. maybe an already borghese Italiana or one who lived abroad for many years.. I’m pretty certain Lorenzo would agree. :)
    I find it pleasantly surprising that you find time to answer our ‘silly’ questions, L…:)

• Dee says:

Also, Agata- wouldn’t dating an ‘already’ a Borghese Italiana make that incest. I don’t think incest would look to appealing to a Borghese. Only a Bonaparte, or a Dupont ;) .

5. Dee says:

I don’t doubt she will be.

6. agata says:

Dee, I meant ‘borghese’ as in aristocrat…

7. agata says:

L, are you still part of Phi Delta Theta? just curious, as it is the first time I hear about it…
    I hope I didn’t bother you too much about leaving US and moving to Europe. If so, I apologize!

• Lorenzo says:

Yes, will always be a part of the fraternity unless they decide to kick me out:) And it is ok that you moved to Europe…after all, it’s a wonderful place!

8. daisy says:

I hope you continue to write historical novels about your family. I really love this novel because I feel I am transported to that historical time. The family tree really helped and the grouping of Household Staff Names even if some are fictional characters. I think the map of historical areas should be improved. I think this should be made into a movie.

• Lorenzo says:

Daisy,
      Thank you for your comments. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed the novel and that the family tree helped. I also appreciate your comment regarding the movie…perhaps i will work on it:)

9. I loved your book Princess of Nowhere. Please tell me, it’s a novel, BUT, you do have
    a long line of ancestors truly to Pauline??Very interesting learning about Napoleon’s
    family. You have written a splendid book and I too, have learned from your studies
    in reading this great book. Yes, I will tell my friends and book club about it.

• Lorenzo says:

Frances,
      I’m very happy that you enjoyed the book! And yes, my relative, Camillo Borghese is directly related to me and he is the person who married Pauline. They are both buried in my family’s crypt in Rome. I appreciated you telling your friends about the book. So glad you enjoyed it.

10. Lorenzo, I hope you received my other comment, but I forgot to ask you
    about the character Sophie? I loved the way you portrayed her. In fact,
    you could write another book just about her. Thanks, Frances Lostracco

• Lorenzo says:

Frances,
      The only issue about writing a book on Sophie is that she is a fictional character (one of the only fictional characters in the book). What I do plan to do is write a story about Pauline’s childhood which helps define the woman she became.

11. Pam says:

Dear Prince Lorenzo,
    I just finished reading “The Princess of Nowhere” and enjoyed it very much. By the end, I too became “a worshipper at the shrine of Pauline.” I hope you will write more novels.
    Pam

• Lorenzo says:

Pam,
      Thank you very much for reading my book on Paolina. So glad you enjoyed it!:) I will be writing more novels but my next one will be about my dog, Belle.